Thursday 11 October 2012

Warning for Android Developers - Do Not Uninstall the Android SDK

When you install the Android SDK, it creates an android-sdk folder, in the folder you choose to install it in. The android-sdk folder contains an uninstall.exe file.

If you run this file, as well as deleting the android-sdk folder, it deletes the parent folder and all other sub-folders in the parent! I lost my entire development folder, which as the name suggests, contained a lot of development projects I was working on.

Losing my development folder is incredibly annoying, but it could have been worse. Imagine if I had installed it directly in the root? I would have lost my entire hard drive!

I can't believe a company as big and trusted as Google released such a devastating program. I'm not the only one that had this problem. It was first reported in June, but they did nothing. See the link below.

Issue 32686 - android - Windows Android SDK uninstall removes the whole install folder - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

2 comments:

  1. Interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thank you...

    mobile applications development india
    Android App Development

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Android seem to be ignoring everyone who's complained, so there isn't much info available. Was there something particular that you wanted to know?

    ReplyDelete