Wednesday 2 January 2013

Taking Video and Still Photos at the Same Time on the Samsung Galaxy SIII

One of the lesser advertised, but definitely useful features of the Samsung Galaxy SIII Mobile is the ability to take still photographs, while shooting video.

For me this is a great feature, because I always used to be torn between the two, and still am when I'm using my proper camera. I normally opt for recording video and take stills from it after, but that is not a great solution because it can be very time consuming and it feels a bit like cheating, because is uses less photography skills.

I used this feature to take video and photos of the New Years Eve Fireworks on Monday. To avoid making this post huge, I put the video in a separate post. You can also view it on YouTube.

Technically you are not taking still photos, you are taking stills of the video, but that's the closest you're ever going to get to doing both on a phone, or camera, that only has one lens. However, doing it in real time takes more photography skills and going through the video, frame by frame after, to get the best shot. The downside is that the aspect ratio is different. Below are the unedited stills that I too, while shooting the video:



Now, although they look fine on screen, if you want to print them, they are the wrong aspect ration for standard photos. Luckily, Aviary makes it really quick and easy to crop images to standard photo sizes, on your phone. Here are the same phots, cropped to 6 by 4 inch:

No comments:

Post a Comment